There’s a bunch of baked french toast recipes out there, but this is the easiest. And I was so excited to make this recipe I made a second trip to the grocery store to make sure I used good bread and fresh cream cheese. The cream cheese I had in the fridge I noticed was approaching the expiration date and I wanted this to turn out amazing, and it did! I was so surprised because I thought soaking bread overnight in a carton of eggs would make the bread into bread pudding. Turns out letting the bread soak, makes it all the more flavorful.
I was tempted to use this recipe for a dinner night but I wanted my toddler to wake up to great breakfast. I started to make this the night before and my husband leans over and says “You should just make something else for your blog and feed my crew at the job site”. I laughed, said no and told him as long as this recipe is a success I will make this again for his coworkers. He later texted me and said, “Send me a picture of your finished recipe”, he showed the pictures off to his coworkers, now I have to make it again. That’s ok, this recipe is super yummy!
I wanted to make something special for my son because he was sick with a terrible throat infection. I stayed home all week to take care of him and felt we should celebrate the end of his cold with a great meal. To be honest, he wasn’t a huge fan of the strawberries, but I added cut up bananas and he scarfed it down. I also forgot I wanted to add powdered sugar and cinnamon, but it’s optional. You can add your own favourite french toast toppings to this recipe.
This is great dish for when you have guests over. Anyways here you go, an easy overnight just place in the oven in the morning baked french toast recipe!
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 60 minutes
¾ loaf of french bread cut into bite-sized pieces
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese cut into small cubes
1 lb of strawberries cut into pieces and divided into two halves
12 eggs beaten
2 cups whole milk
⅓ cup of maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar (optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray, add cut bread pieces in an even layer, carefully mix in cream cheese, half of the strawberries
- Using a large mixing bowl, stir eggs, vanilla extract, salt and maple syrup together and pour over bread cubes, cover with aluminium foil and let sit overnight
- When you’re ready, take out the baking dish and let sit for 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place in oven, bake for 30 minutes covered, and then uncover and cook for an additional 30 minutes until the egg mixture becomes solid.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Add the second half of the cut strawberries on top of the dish or use for each plate serving. Add your favourite additional toppings and sprinkle a little magic like powdered sugar