Having a toddler in the house means making meals that are kid friendly and fun to make and eat. My two year old wants to participate when I cook, he wants stir the pancake batter, put a lid on a pot, sprinkle shredded cheese on a casserole. I make most of our meals family friendly, with the occasional spicy adult meals.
This week my son and I pulled into the grocery store parking lot and saw they were selling Halloween garden decor already. Of course we both excited and then I knew what I wanted to make for dinner. Jack O Lantern Stuffed Bell Peppers. It’s fun and quick. A little heavy on prep because you need to make all the stuffing ingredients before you throw the bell peppers in the oven. I cut a corner and used boxed rice to cut down on prep time. I wish I used fresh diced tomatoes with this recipe but I made it so quickly I forgot to add. This is a great recipe if you have company over that has little ones.
Anyone who knows me it’s about this time of year that I get anxious for Halloween season. As Fall and Halloween is my favorite time of year.
The stuffing I make can be used also for nacho topping, or taco stuffing.
Prep time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 or 5 bell peppers (color is your choice)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 3 oz diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup of diced onion
- Shredded cheese (desired amount and type)
- 1 lbs ground beef
- Box of instant rice (desired flavor, I used Zatarain’s Salsa Verde)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Diced avocado (optional)
- Salt & pepper (desired amount)
- Diced tomatoes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 °
- Start by browning ground beef on medium/medium high heat in a large skillet and then add onion
- Add desired amount of pepper and salt to taste
- Add red pepper flakes, cumin, chili powder and jalapeno peppers, mix and stir till warm, remove from heat
- Follow directions on instant rice and then add to skillet, mix into meat
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and add and spread vegetable oil
- Begin cutting the tops of the bell peppers, remove inner seeds and ribs
- Using a small sharp knife, cut your Jack O’ Lantern faces into the sides of the peppers
- Stuff the bell peppers with the meat, rice mixture, top off with shredded cheese and put the tops back on the peppers, place in lined baking pan
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes, and then serve with optional toppings and enjoy!