I love Italian food. If I could, I could probably eat pasta every day. Macaroni and cheese is probably my favorite food. I wanted to make chicken and pasta but I wanted it to look as appetizing as it tastes. I came across a recipe from an old ‘80s cookbook I picked up from the thrift store years ago. Bruschetta chicken.
This recipe is easy, classic and would satisfy the pickiest of eaters…..*coughs “kids” * My toddler isn’t always hungry but if I make something look appetizing enough he usually gets interested and then tries a bite. He likes this recipe since I used grape tomatoes. One of his favorite snacks.
There are various ways to cook this chicken, breaded, barbecued, fried even. But I like my starch so this recipe calls for breaded and baked chicken. I encourage you to try to cook the chicken to your liking. The breading is crispy and sticks well.
I used fresh basil from my indoor window planter, the smell and the flavor is much stronger and gives this recipe a good pop of mint. I would suggest boiling the pasta while the chicken is in the oven, so by the time your chicken is done, so is the pasta.
The only thing I would have liked to do differently was to use freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I had a bag of pre-shredded cheese in the fridge already. But it turned out great anyway.
Time: 40 minutes total Cook time: 30 minutes
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs lightly beaten
4 boneless chicken breasts
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 large tomatoes chopped into small pieces or 3 cups of chopped grape tomatoes
3 tablespoons minced basil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
- Place flour and beaten eggs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in flour, then eggs. Place in a greased baking dish.
- Combine the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Pour melted butter and minced garlic over dry ingredients and mix with a fork until well blended.
- Sprinkle 3./4 of the mix onto the chicken
- Loosely cover the baking dish with foil. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 5/10 minutes longer until the top is browned
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle remaining dry mix and then chopped tomatoes and basil on top of the chicken, return to oven, cook for another 5 minutes until tomatoes are heated and serve!